Interdental brushes like those from TePe UK & Ireland Oral Hygiene Products will clean the surfaces between your teeth that you toothbrush cannot reach.
Your toothbrush only cleans the front, back and biting surface of your teeth, this amounts to about 60%. Interdental brushes are an effective way to reach the other 40% by cleaning between the gaps in your teeth and around the gumline. Used as a part of your daily oral care routine they will help to remove the plaque that can cause gum disease, cavities, and bad breath. Interdental brushes are also a good tool for cleaning around braces, bridges and dental implants.
Our choice of interdental brushes are Tepe’s and they have very small bristled heads that come in a range of sizes designed to fit into the different gaps between the teeth. You may find that you need to use more than one brush to clean all of your teeth.
Your dentist or hygienist should advise you which size of brush you need and should also explain how to use them.
Interdental brushes are an effective way to reach the 40% of your teeth unreached by your toothbrush, by cleaning between the gaps in your teeth and around the gumline.
Interdental Brushing Quick Guide
Select a brush appropriate to the gap(s) that you are cleaning.
Very gently insert the brush into the gap(s), but don’t push. If you meet resistance then change the angle of the brush; or it could be that you need to use a smaller brush.
Slowly and gently move the brush back and forth and against the side of each tooth to dislodge and remove any debris or build-up of plaque.
Develop a pattern using the different sized brushes to work around your mouth, ensuring that you clean between all the gaps.
You may find that when you first start using interdental brushes your gums will feel tender or even bleed a little as you start to get rid of any plaque build up. This is normal and is nothing to worry about. The tenderness and bleeding will reduce as your gums get used to the process and become healthier.
If the bleeding does continue for more than a few days it is worth seeing your dentist to check that you are brushing correctly and that there are no problems with your gums.
Always apply the same hygiene rules to your interdental brushes as you do to your toothbrush. Rinse them thoroughly after use and use the storage cap that is provided to protect the brush head/s and keep them clean between uses.
Visit our blog to keep up to date with tips and advice about toothcare as well as regular news from the Smile Concepts dental practice.
To provide the best experiences, we use technologies like cookies to store and/or access device information. Consenting to these technologies will allow us to process data such as browsing behaviour or unique IDs on this site. Not consenting or withdrawing consent, may adversely affect certain features and functions.
The technical storage or access is strictly necessary for the legitimate purpose of enabling the use of a specific service explicitly requested by the subscriber or user, or for the sole purpose of carrying out the transmission of a communication over an electronic communications network.
The technical storage or access is necessary for the legitimate purpose of storing preferences that are not requested by the subscriber or user.
The technical storage or access that is used exclusively for statistical purposes.The technical storage or access that is used exclusively for anonymous statistical purposes. Without a subpoena, voluntary compliance on the part of your Internet Service Provider, or additional records from a third party, information stored or retrieved for this purpose alone cannot usually be used to identify you.
The technical storage or access is required to create user profiles to send advertising, or to track the user on a website or across several websites for similar marketing purposes.